Thursday 31 October 2013

4-6: The East Coast - May 2013

Ok guys, in May we traveled to Halifax to see Sean's cousin Jennifer marry her main squeeze, Jim. It was absolutely fantastic. While I was on this epic journey, I knocked off a few items on the list! This post is brief because I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I'll happily fill in any details upon request!

The trip was so memorable for so many reasons. In addition to getting to spend a lot of really great time with Sean's family (who is really, really amazing and who I am so lucky to know), we saw a lot of sights I'd never before visited. 

4. See the Atlantic Ocean

This one is pretty simple (and goes with another forthcoming item on the list that corresponds to the other coast...). I saw (on multiple occasions). It was amazing! It makes me miss being so close to the water.


A beautifully wet, cold, windy day at Peggy's Cove

5. Visit my old law school

While we were on the east coast, I also made a point of visiting a few places that I knew well. We spent the majority of our trip in Halifax, but Sean and I decided to hit the road to Moncton for an over-nighter the day after the wedding. I spent three years in Moncton for law school, and I hadn't been back since I graduated in 2008.

Serious face, obviously
Even though the building was (unsurprisingly) locked up on the holiday Monday we visited, I managed to coax the one person I spotted through the windows to let me in. The classrooms, the law library – it made so many memories flood back.

Heading towards the library
The time I spent in the Maritimes was formative in many ways, connected me to my Acadian heritage, and allowed me to meet incredible friends who I love so much. But, for reasons that I really don't need to get into for the purposes of this post, it was also a bizarre (and in many ways, unhappy) time in my life too - a time that seems so disconnected from my current reality that it's hard to believe it happened. However, the good news is that going back only reinforced the positive, fond, awesome memories, and in fact served to diminish the negative ones.

6. Devour an oatcake (ok, several oatcakes) from McBuns Bakery

Oatcakes. They're all over the maritimes, but none are as good as the ones from McBuns in Moncton. NONE. And McBuns doesn’t just have plain oatcakes. No – they have chocolate dipped ones, chocolate dipped with peanut butter in the middle (oh hell yes), cinnamon raison. And, like a mother never has a favourite child, I don’t have a favourite flavour. I love all my oat babies equally.

Note the unlit "Open" sign!
I had been waiting for oatcakes for five years. Sean and I arrived in Moncton and went straight to McBuns – we didn’t even check into the hotel first. And it’s a good thing, because when we pulled into the parking lot, the “open” sign had just been turned off. And this was on a Sunday evening before a holiday Monday. Luckily, the door was still open, and I poked my head in and sheepishly asked if it was too late to pick up a few oatcakes. Madam Baker Lady gave me a thumbs up (literally), and I proceeded to buy every single oatcake on the shelf (if you think I'm exaggerating, you underestimate my love of oatcakes). The next stop was the corner store - an Irving gas station, naturally - for some milk. Then, we went back to our hotel room, and I dunked. Good lord did I dunk.

Heaven in snack form


My time-tested system of deconstructing, dunking, and devouring




Pin It Now!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment